You can create an events calendar by using the events post type and Upcoming/Past Events page templates.
First you need to create a page that will show the events that you add. (Note: Most MADD Chapters websites already have an Events Calendar page, so you can skip this step and go to ‘Managing Events’ below to learn how to add an event.)
- Go to Pages > Add New.
- Enter a title and any content that you want to appear at the top of the events list.
- Under Page Attributes choose the Events – Upcoming template.
- Optionally configure a header image and sidebar (read the Pages guide).
- Click Publish.
There is also an Events – Past page template that you can use to show events that are over.
Adding an Event (appears on Events Calendar page and on bottom right of Homepage)
Risen uses a custom post type that makes it easy for you to add events.
- Go to Events > Add New.
- Enter a title for the event.
- Use the content box to write information about the event.
- Fill in the details under Date & Time (Start Date is required).
- If your event repeats on a regular schedule (e.g., a monthly board meeting), enter the optional recurrence information.
- Fill in the optional details under Location (venue, address, map).
- Optional: Add a featured image to your event page. This is the image at the top of the page, and it should have the dimensions 960 pixels wide by 250 pixels high. To add it, click Set featured image then Upload Files, upload an image, select it, then click Set featured image.
- Optionally check the Show sidebar widgets box if you want to show a sidebar on this event’s page.
- Click the Publish button to add it.
Editing and Deleting Events
- Go to Events > All Events
- Hover over an event to see the Edit and Trash options
Hide Events When Expired
By default, when an event passes it will still show on site with an “event has expired” message for historical purposes.
If you enabled the sidebar for your events page or any of your event items, you can show widgets in it. To do this go to Appearance > Widgets and drag any widgets into the Events Sidebar
Upcoming Events Widget
Risen includes a widget for showing upcoming events.
Read the Widgets guide for more information.